Sunday, November 4, 2007

I haven't hopped a plane home yet.

The trees are starting to get color. This place is called Perl du Lac. Not too hard to know what that means.

Looking across the Lake, you can see Mont Blanc in the distance. Chamonix is at the base of Mont Blanc. We will drive up there some weekend.


This shows the huge water spout that is rather a symbol of Geneva. When the wind blows too hard they turn it off. We get many really windy days.






There is not a lot new going on for me right now. Every afternoon I take a long walk, usually along the Lake. It's great excercise and most days I learn something about Geneva that I didn't know before. This past week I got to go about 40 minutes out of town to Ikea. This place is a necessity for those setting up house here (even if your place is furnished). Furnished is in our case the bare minimum to exist. Some items just need to be replaced, especially if your bedroom has curtains that look like they were taken out of a "house of ill repute." I'm not sure how it happens, but I am reading labels and instructions much easier now, even though I've only had one French class. Steve and I are taking the class together, and it is fairly intensive. At first I didn't think our instructor knew any English. Actually she does, but did not speak one word of English during the entire hour and a half of class. I hope we're not too old to learn. Our boxes from home will be delivered tomorrow, and my only challenge will be trying to fit their contents into this tiny place. Who knew that one of the reasons the people here shop every day is because the perishable foods , including meats, breads, etc. have no preservatives in them. You have to read the labels very carefully to check for expiration dates. Shelf life is very short on everything.

Love to everyone, M

No comments: