Sunday, October 12, 2008

An Autumn Afternoon


The weather will always make a liar out of you. After last week's post when I talked about how cold it had gotten here all of a sudden, we have had a very moderate week, temperature wise. The snow on the Jura is melted, but I'm sure it will be back soon. I felt like taking a walk this afternoon and taking some pictures of Autumn in Geneva. What won't show up on pictures is the fairly dense fog which shrouds everything each morning. I told Steve today, that I feel like I live in San Francisco or something. I'm content as long as I get at least some sunshine every few days. Enjoy the scenes from our walk.

This vine grows on walls all over around here, but it becomes spectacular during the Fall.






On a different theme--This huge three-legged chair stands across the street from the United Nations building. It represents all the children of the world who have lost limbs or been killed by land mines and cluster bombs. It is quite a statement. This square is also the site of many demonstrations by various groups with different agendas. I have just finished reading the book, Three Cups of Tea --A true account by Greg Mortenson and David Oliver Relin. I would encourage everyone I know to read this inspiring account.

2 comments:

Danielle said...

Please use your powers as Queen of the Universe to keep those leaves on the trees until we get there. It is beautiful. I am getting more excited than nervous each day.

thehiattfamily said...

Mom- we miss you. I hope you had a great visit with Chad and Danielle. Maybe we can talk to you guys Sunday. Love you