Sunday, November 23, 2008

Who Knew?

 

Flowers

For over two months I have enjoyed looking out my front window at the hearty ever-blooming Chrysanthemums in pots which I had placed in my window sill.  When the huge purple one began to look like it belonged to Morticia Adams, with brown flowers instead of purple, I couldn't stand to just throw it away and gave it to a friend to plant in her yard.  Since that time, the two smaller yellow pots have braved the cooler temperatures and oft-times brutal winds to continue to display cheering yellow flowers.  I must admit today, however, that they may not be up to the dusting of snow which we received yesterday and the night-time temperatures that are below freezing.  Still, I watch as they rock, buffeted by the chill wind, and yet look fairly healthy. 

I have not seen too many, if any, Chrysanthemums on window ledges.  Sometime in the past couple of weeks I read that one should never take Chrysanthemums to someone as a gift because they are associated with funerals and death.  Hmmm--I wonder how many people here have either chuckled at our cultural ignorance or thought that we had suffered a loss. 

Interesting--Chrysanthemums being associated with funerals and death when in reality they are the essence of longevity, hardiness and can be depended upon to rise back up out of the ground to flower again next year.  Maybe they should be thought of in terms of resurrection rather death.  I still will remember not to take them to someone as a hostess gift.